Many people are familiar with basil-based pesto. This one adds a twist by throwing spinach into the mix for added nutrition and taste.
1) Toast the walnuts in a 350 F oven for about 10 minutes.
2) Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
3) Wash the spinach and basil. Remove any large stems. Plunge the greens into the boiling water. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove with tongs or a slotted spoon. Place the cooked greens in a bowl of cold water. Once the greens are cool, drain well and squeeze dry.
4) Place all of the ingredients except the olive oil in a food processor. Blend the ingredients and add the olive oil slowly through the chimney in the food processor lid.
5) Season to taste.
6) Leftovers can be frozen in freezer baggies or in an ice cube tray. To prepare the chicken: Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Toss in a bowl with the pesto. Bake on a baking sheet in a 350 F oven until cooked through. If you are using boneless skinless chicken, it will take about 10- 15 minutes. Bone-in chicken can take up to 40 minutes. To check chicken for doneness: Juices should run clear with no trace of rose colour. Internal temperature with a meat thermometer should read 165 F or 74 C.