Everyone needs a recipe for roasted root vegetables in their repertoire of dishes.
1 bunchSwiss chard
2 clovesgarlic (sliced)
1 teaspooncumin seeds or Italian seasoning
1⁄3 cupolive oil or vegetable oil
2 tablespoonsbrown sugar
1⁄4 cuplemon juice
- Wash all the vegetables.
- Preheat the oven to 400F / 200 C.
- Set aside the Swiss chard for later. Peel the potatoes, carrots, parsnips and beets. Peel the onions but leave the root end intact so they hold together.
- Remove the outer leaves and tough core from the cauliflower.
- Cut the tops off of the kohlrabi and peel the outer skin.
- Cut all of the vegetables into roughly equal sized pieces, but leave the Swiss chard till later. Cut the onions into wedges through the root.
- Put all of the vegetables except the beets and the Swiss chard into a large bowl or pot.
- In a separate bowl mix the garlic, cumin or Italian seasoning, olive oil, sugar, and lemon juice. Pour most of the sauce over the vegetables but keep back a little for the beets and Swiss chard. Toss the vegetables with most of the sauce.
- Using a piece of foil or parchment, make a nest for the beets and set them at one end of a large baking tray. Pour the remaining vegetables onto the tray. Put some of the sauce you kept back on the beets. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the vegetables in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes. Turn over half-way through the cooking time.
- Remove from the oven and stir the vegetables around. Place the Swiss chard on top and season with salt and pepper and the remaining sauce.
- Return the pan to the oven and continue baking until the vegetables are browned and tender.
- Sprinkle with shredded or grated cheese while the vegetables are still hot.
- Use any combination of root vegetables for this dish
- Print View
Add new comment