Enjoy this delicious orange chiffon cake with fresh fruit and a cup of coffee or tea.
2 1⁄4 cupscake flour
1 1⁄2 cupsugar
1 tablespoonbaking powder
3⁄4 cupsorange juice
2 tablespoonsorange zest
1⁄2 cupvegetable oil
1⁄2 teaspooncream of tartar
- Preaheat the oven to 325 F. Have ready an ungreased bundt pan or 13 x 9 baking pan.
- In a bowl, mix flour, 1 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- To the dry ingredients, add egg yolks, orange juice, oil, zest, and vanilla. Beat on high speed or whisk until smooth.
- Clean beater or whisk. In a clean bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- To egg whites, gradually add remaining 1/4 cup of sugar. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Use a spatula to fold 1/4 of the egg whites into the cake batter. Fold in the remaining amount.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan. Bake 55-65 minutes, until the cake is springy to the touch or when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Prepare a quick icing with
1 cup icing sugar
2 - 4 tbsp orange juice
And drizzle this over the cooled cake.