The Sweetest Sweet Potato by Chef Amy
Today calls for my favourite pantry root veg the sweet potato! Today’s recipe is something I want you to see as more of a concept than a solid recipe. Sweet Potato Boats could be done with a number of different spice combos/sauces/toppings. Think Mexican w/ Black Beans/Guac/Salsas, Thai w/crunchy slaw/tofu/ginger soy dressing; Breakfast style w/ Eggs/Tomato/Spinach/Avocado; Dessert style w/ banana/peanut butter. Just always think in terms of some sort of Protein + Sauce/Dip + Veg, remember to eat the rainbow! Then you could always add any nuts and seeds you like, or serve it over a bed of spinach and add a little olive oil and lemon juice. The options are really endless so get creative, have fun and use up what you need to in the fridge and pantry!
I’m using a recipe from the minimalist baker, which you can find at the link just below. Tonight I'll see what I have in my fridge to complete this recipe, make substitutions where I have too (I don't have hummus!! So let’s see what I come up with!) and then show you guys next time!
Original Inspiration Recipe: https://minimalistbaker.com/mediterranean-baked-sweet-potatoes/
Ingredients (All washed before filming)
SWEET POTATO BOATS
● 4 medium sweet potatoes*
● 1 19-ounce can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
● 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
● 1/2 tsp each cumin, coriander, cinnamon, smoked (or regular) paprika
● 1 pinch sea salt or lemon juice (optional)
GARLIC HERB SAUCE
● 1/4 cup hummus (tahini, yogurt or any saucy thing in your fridge)
● 1 tablespoon lemon juice (lime, white wine vinegar)
● 3/4 - 1 tsp dried dill (or sub 2-3 tsp fresh per 3/4-1 tsp dried)(optional)
● 3 cloves garlic, minced (3 cloves yield ~1 1/2 Tbsp or 9 g)
● Water or unsweetened almond milk (to thin)
● Sea salt to taste (optional)
● 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes (diced)
● 1/4 cup chopped parsley (minced)
● 2 Tbsp lemon juice
● Chili garlic sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and line a large baking sheet with foil.
2. Rinse and scrub potatoes and cut in half lengthwise. This will speed cooking time. Otherwise leave whole and bake longer (approximately double the time (45 min - 1 hour).
3. Toss rinsed and drained chickpeas with olive oil and spices and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. (make sure to dry the chickpeas well with paper towel or a clean kitchen towel)
4. Rub the sweet potatoes with a bit of olive oil and place face down on the same baking sheet (or another baking sheet depending on size).
5. While the sweet potatoes and chickpeas are roasting, prepare your sauce by adding all ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisking to combine, only adding enough water to almond milk to thin so it’s pourable. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add more garlic for more zing, salt for savoriness, lemon juice for freshness, and dill for a more intense herb flavor. I found mine didn’t need anything else.
6. NOTE: If you don’t have hummus, tahini will make a great base substitution for the sauce - just adjust the seasonings to accommodate the lack of flavor tahini provides.
7. Also prepare the parsley-tomato topping by tossing tomato and parsley with lemon juice and setting aside to marinate.
8. Once sweet potatoes are fork tender and the chickpeas are golden brown - roughly 25 minutes - remove from oven.
9. For serving, flip potatoes flesh-side up and smash down the insides a little bit. Then top with chickpeas, sauce and parsley-tomato garnish. Serve immediately.
10. Additional side ideas might include Hummus, Pita Chips, Baba Ganoush, or Persian Eggplant Dip. Enjoy!
*Adjust number of sweet potatoes per person, and buy local when possible for best quality and flavor. And slice into quarters instead of halves to speed cooking time if on the larger side.
Mexican Style Sweet Potato Boats
Recipe: From Amy’s Pantry Items
(As shown in the video)
1 Large Sweet Potato
2-3Tbsp Olive oil
1/2tsp salt pinch of pepper
(or whatever spices you love)
1 cup shredded, cabbage (any kind)
⅔ cup shredded, carrot
¼ cup red onion, sliced thin
1 cup yogurt/sour cream/ mayo
Zest of half lime
1 tbsp lime juice
1 chipotle pepper* (optional)
½ can of black beans
½ cup grated cheddar
-Wash all veg, cut sweet potato in half season and rub with olive oil. Place face down on baking sheet and bake for 25-45min depending on size of sweet potato. Mine took 35min.
-While sweet potato bakes chop veg for coleslaw throw in a bowl and start preparing the dressing. -Add all dressing ingredients to a blender and blend on medium-high for a 1-2min or until chipotle is combined.
-Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork to check for doneness. If it goes through easily all the way pull them out. Mash them up with the fork and then add black beans and cheese, place in oven to melt cheese, about 5-8min.
-Once out of the oven top with coleslaw and dressing. I added cucumber to mine, you could add tomato, avocado, literally anything you like, and enjoy!
*If you don’t use a chipotle spice up your dressing with chili powder/cayenne/paprika/cumin
Any of the above would work but remember chili powder and cayenne will be spicy!