A yummy twist on roasted carrots, compliments of pear.
1 teaspoonmustard seed
3pears (cored and quartered)
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180°C /350°F.
- Peel the carrots and slice in half lengthways. Cut the pears in half and remove core. Cut each half in 2-3 wedges, depending on the size of the pear.
- Melt the butter and honey in an ovenproof skillet. Add the carrots, pears and seasoning and sauté over high heat for about 3 or 4 minutes, or until they start to colour. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to the oven and roast, stirring a few times, until the carrots are tender, about 30-45 minutes. The cooking time will depend on the size of the carrots. Check seasoning and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- The pears give the carrots a wonderful flavour. You can also use whole baby carrots in this recipe.
- Refrigerate pears for a few days if they are too firm. Take out and let sit at room temperature for 1 day to ripen. The cold temperature helps them to ripen naturally, giving them a better flavour.