Try this hearty and delicious Moroccan stew for a great way to use lentils and chickpeas.
1 tablespoonolive oil
1 cupfinely chopped onions
2celery, diced (stalks! )
1potato, chopped (small! )
1carrot, diced (small! )
3 clovesgarlic, minced
1⁄4 teaspoonsaffron (optional)
1 teaspoonground coriander seeds
1 pinchcayenne pepper
1 canplum tomatoes
4 cupsvegetable or chicken broth
1 cupcanned chick peas, drained and rinsed
1⁄4 cupfresh lemon juice
- Rinse the lentils in a bowl of cold water, and pick out any dried debris. Drain.
- In a soup pot, saute onions and celery until translucent. Add garlic, spices, potato, carrot and cook 5 minutes.
- Mix in the tomatoes, lentils, chickpeas and vegetable stock.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes, until the lentils are tender.
- Use a potato masher to break up the plum tomatoes into a pulp.
- Garnish with chopped fresh herbs and season to taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper.