This colourful salad adorned the menu at our 2015 World Food Day Dinner. We named it after Circle Organic, the Millbrook, ON farm that grew the vegetables for the feast.
2small kholrabi, peeled and grated
1red cabbage, shredded (small! )
2potatoes, peeled and grated (sweet! )
1⁄4onion, thinly sliced and soaked in cold water, then drained (red! )
1⁄4 cupapple cider vinegar
1 tablespoonsmooth Dijon mustard
1⁄4 teaspooncelery seed
1⁄4 cupfresh dill, chopped
3⁄4 cupsolive oil
- Process all of the vegetables as listed above.
- Use a sharp chef knife to thinly slice the cabbage and red onion. A box cheese grater or a food processor with a grater attachment will help with the kohlrabi and sweet potato. Another option is to use a mandoline, if you have one.
- Mix well in a large bowl and make the salad dressing.
- For the dressing, mix the vinegar, Dijon, honey and spices in a bowl.
- Use a whisk or an immersion blender and slowly add in the olive oil to create a smooth blended dressing.
- Toss with the salad (you can do this up to 2 hours ahead of time.)